Every year we share important nuggets gleaned from the annual Caring.com family caregiver survey. It’s filled with great information for senior living organizations.
Among the many reasons you should review the survey results is that it will help you learn more about family caregiver struggles. You can use it to create content that addresses those concerns on your website.
It’s probably not a surprise to read that 38% of family caregivers devote 30 hours a week to caregiving. 33% of these caregivers also work full-time or part-time.
- 68% of working caregivers admitted their caregiving duties had a negative impact on their work
- 79% missed work in the past year because of caregiving
- 13% had to completely give up working to provide care for their family member
What else did this year’s survey uncover?
Let’s take a look…
What Do Family Caregivers Need Help With?
This is great information if you are working on your content strategy. Understanding what tasks caregivers provide assistance with AND what tasks caregivers need help with is helpful insight.
Do you have content that offers advice and guidance on common caregiver-related tasks?
It might be about the new Lyft program for seniors or Uber Assist.
Or it could be tools that make it easier to communicate with friends and family so the caregiver isn’t stuck on the phone all day…
Ditto for this next infographic.
What content opportunities can you identify from it?
There are lots of ideas under each of these four groups, especially at the local level and on social platforms. From respite to hygiene tips for caregivers, there’s an abundance of advice and guidance you can offer.
Caregivers Have Out-of-Pocket Expenses
It’s not just their time that family caregivers are sharing. They are covering expenses, too.
- 44% of family caregivers spend $5,000 a year or more on expenses related to caregiving
- 25% of family caregivers spend $10,000 a year
- If a loved one has dementia, that number soars to $50,000 a year or more on caregiving expenses
What are these expenses related to?
- 58% for food and clothing
- 56% is for transportation
- 42% for medications/medical costs
- 29% traveling to care for a loved one
- 23% for legal services
You can read more by visiting Family Caregiving in 2017: A Full-Time Unpaid Job for Many.
Visit Our Senior Care Content Learning Center
Is one of your professional goals for 2018 to learn more about content and SEO?
We make it easy to do… Just hop on over to our Senior Care Content Learning Center to get started!