Older adults and caregivers are our passion.
Our team members have all worked in the senior care industry and are proud to be able to say we’ve made a difference in families’ lives.
We continue to support older adults and their caregivers by creating content and tools that help answer the questions families have during their search for solutions.
A Newsroom Dedicated to Aging Services
The Senior Care Newsroom is a collection of information about aging, caregivers, senior care decision makers, and senior care. We hope our media friends will find it to be helpful!
If you are a member of the media looking for industry experts, we’ll be glad to help connect you with a few. We represent a wide variety of senior care clients both big and small.
Our Aging Population
- 40 million people in the U.S. are aged 65 or older. That accounts for 13% of our population.
- By 2030, that number will climb to 75 million and represent 19% of the U.S. population. That means 1 in 5 Americans will be aged 65 or older.
- States with the greatest percentage of older adults are: Florida, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maine, Iowa, Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, Arkansas, Montana, and Rhode Island.
- The first baby boomers reached retirement age in 2011. Over the next 20 years, 74 million boomers will retire.
Delaying a Move to Assisted Living: Aging in Place
- 95% of seniors want to age in place.
- Seniors are staying home with services in greater numbers. From 2008 to 2009, home care revenues increased by 71%. (NPD Economic Summit)
- Our elders are moving to assisted living later. Average age of an assisted living move is 85. Means residents in assisted living are older and frailer. (NCAL).
- 75% of new assisted living residents are female. (NCAL)
- 80% of assisted living residents need help with medications; 64% with bathing. (NCAL)
- 75% of assisted living is paid for out-of-pocket. 14% SSI; 5% Medicaid; 2% Insurance; 4% Other. (National Care Planning Council)
Senior Care Decisions
- 67% of the time the adult child is the major influencer. (GlynnDevins 2011)
- 22% of the time the older adult makes the decision on their own.
- Average time it takes to make an assisted living decision and move is between 2 and 6 months.
- Average time it takes to make a CCRC decision and move is 18 months.
- 7 out of 10 Americans will need long-term care at some point. (Genworth)
- 90% of families have NOT talked about long-term care. (Genworth)
- 72% of caregivers care for a parent; 65% of those parents are 75+. (Gallup)
- Majority of caregivers work outside the home at least 15 hours/week. (July 2011 Gallup Poll)
If you would like to schedule an interview with us or need our assistance connecting with a senior care provider, please email: Shelley@SeniorCareContentSpecialists.com. We will be happy to help!